Frequently Asked Questions

Who is the CSOP For?

Application Questions

Payment Questions

Logistical Questions

International Participants

Who is the CSOP For?

Who should attend the CSOP? Do I have to be an academic or an experienced activist?

The CSOP is designed for anyone between the ages of 20 and 90 who is interested in peace work, including not-for-profit staff and interns, activists and peace educators, community leaders, religious leaders, teachers and professors, students (undergraduate or graduate), government officials, and those who are new to peacebuilding.

I am not Mennonite or Christian. Am I really a good fit here?

Yes, the CSOP is for peacebuilders from all faiths, all countries and all identity groups. The CSOP is a learning community of diverse peacebuilders who come together to learn, network and engage in peacebuilding. The school is designed to be an environment characterized by (a) educating for peace and justice, (b) learning through thinking and doing, (c) generous hospitality and radical dialogue, and (d) the modeling of invitational community.

The CSOP is hosted by CMU, a Christian university that is rooted in the historic Anabaptist tradition of peace, justice and service. Drawing on our 450-year faith-based peace tradition, we want to create a space where people from different backgrounds and perspectives can connect in positive and respectful ways—learning together, supporting each other and creating networks of engaged peacebuilders.

People of all races, cultures, religions and belief systems who seek to teach others, to learn, and to experience a place of peace fit well into the Canadian School of Peacebuilding. Read some of our testimonials and participant profiles to hear about the experience of participants from a variety of backgrounds.

Am I qualified to attend?

All participants must:

  • be fluent in spoken and written English, and
  • have a secondary-school diploma, and at least one year of university or equivalent work experience.

Application Questions

What is the application process?

Please complete the online application form. After the form is received, your application will be processed and we will be in touch with payment information. Your deposit must be paid before you can be registered in the course. All applications must be received before May 1.

  • International ApplicantsMust provide proof of valid visitor status or study visa to be accepted for CSOP 2023. Apply by May 1.
  • Canadian/US Applicants – Late applications may be accepted until three days before courses begin, space permitting.
  • CMU Students (already admitted to a degree program) – Register through your Student Portal by May 1st. Late registrations may be accepted, if space is available.

Once a class is full, any further participants may join a waiting list, or may be registered in their second choice until a space opens in their first choice. In past years, some CSOP courses have filled up, so apply early to ensure your place in the course of your choice.

Will you send me a confirmation that you have received my application?

You will receive an automatic response email once you have completed your application. This email indicates that we have received your application. We will email you if we need clarification for any parts of your application, or to confirm that your application has been accepted. Please be patient; we receive many applications and may not be able to process your application immediately.

I applied and was accepted last year. Can that application count for this year?

No, please complete a new application HERE.

I am currently a student at another university. Can I take a CSOP course for academic credit?

As a current student of another institution, you are required to have a Letter of Permission (LoP) sent from your home institution to CMU. This process allows your home institution to evaluate if/how a CSOP course will fit into your degree program. This letter is important as it ensures that the credit you earn at the CSOP can be transferred to your program at your home institution. Please request that an LoP be sent as soon as possible to:

Canadian School of Peacebuilding – Letter of Permission
Canadian Mennonite University
500 Shaftesbury Blvd.
Winnipeg MB  R3P 2N2

What is the application process for graduate students?

In order to evaluate your eligibility to receive graduate credit, we need your official transcripts of all of your post-secondary studies in addition to the Application & Registration form. Please ask the institution(s) at which you completed your undergraduate studies to send an official transcript of your work to:

Canadian School of Peacebuilding – Transcript
Canadian Mennonite University
500 Shaftesbury Blvd.
Winnipeg MB  R3P 2N2

CMU offers a Master of Arts in Peace and Collaborative Development (MA-PCD) degree and most CSOP courses can be used towards this degree. You may also take CSOP graduate level courses for credit through CMU’s extended education program before you register for a graduate degree. This option can be helpful if you are considering graduate studies but would like to try out graduate level courses before committing to the program.

For more information about the MA-PCD, including admission procedures and requirements, please go to or contact Valerie Smith, the Associate Registrar for Graduate Studies, at

Please note that admission into the CSOP has different admission requirements and is a separate process from admission into the MA-PCD program.

I’m having trouble with the online form. What should I do now?

If you do have trouble with the online form, please send an email to, explaining as precisely as possible what the problem was, including error codes and screenshots, if possible. We would like to know about any problems so that we can improve our form and processes for our participants. Thanks.

Can I take more than one class each week?

No. Each class meets from 8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday to Friday, so it is only possible to take one class per week. At this time, we are planning for mostly in-person courses in 2023 with one course offered only online.

Can I come for just one week or do I have to come for both weeks?

You can come for one week or stay for two. Classes are 5 days, Monday to Friday.

I'm not able to come for a 5-day class. Can I sign up for just one or two days?

No, it is not possible to sign up for just part of a course. CSOP courses are designed to build community and learning over the full length of the course.

Payment Questions

How much does it cost to attend the CSOP?

All costs are detailed on our Costs & Payment Options page.

What are my payment options?

CMU Students, please refer to your student payment policy at

All other participants: Payment from international applicants must be processed via, a secure, transparent and inexpensive service for international payments.  Applicants from Canada or the US may make payments via credit card, cheque (payable to Canadian Mennonite University), or money order. Email for more information.

Please note that your registration is not complete and your place in the course is not reserved until we have received full payment.

The payment link on the website doesn’t work. What should I do?

If you are having trouble paying your CSOP fees online, please email us at and we will work to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Are there scholarships or travel subsidies available?

The Waseskun (the Cree word for “the moment after a storm when the sun begins to shine through”) Canadian School of Peacebuilding Bursary has been established to provide financial support to an Indigenous or Métis participant. All Indigenous and Métis CSOP participants are eligible to apply for the Waseskun Bursary. Funds for bursary assistance are limited. CSOP/CMU cannot guarantee any assistance, but will consider and assess each application carefully in relation to all other applications received. To apply, please submit a completed Waseskun CSOP Bursary Application 2023 along with a CSOP application.

Unfortunately, beyond the Waseskun CSOP Bursary, we do not have scholarships, student sponsorships or travel subsidies available this year, though we hope this will be a possibility in the future. We are aware that the costs may be a barrier to attending the CSOP for some qualified applicants and we would like to be able to provide assistance to such candidates. However, we simply do not have funds available for scholarships, subsidies or grants at this time. We hope you are able to find alternate sources of funding and that you will be able to join us at the CSOP this summer.

Can I pay when I arrive?

No. We require full payment in advance in order to complete your application and reserve your seat in the course. 

What is your refund policy?

If a participant decides to withdraw from a class, it is important to inform CSOP so that there is an opportunity for another participant to take the seat in that class. The withdrawal and refund schedule is as follows:

  • Up until one week before classes start – 100% refund of all fees, minus a $75 processing fee.
  • One week prior to the start of classes and until the start of the first class session – 50% refund of all fees.
  • After the start of the first day of classes we will no longer issue a refund.

Refunds require 6-8 weeks to process.

Logistical Questions

Will I have access to the university library and other resources?

Yes, while participating in the program you will have access to the Canadian Mennonite University library, internet, and other resources on campus.

How do I arrange for on-campus meals and lodging?

On-campus meal and lodging packages can be reserved once your CSOP application has been accepted. Please find more information on the Meals and Lodging page.

Off-campus lodging and meals are the responsibility of the participant.

How do I get to CSOP?

CSOP participants are required to arrange their own transportation to come to CSOP.

CSOP is located on campus at Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in central Canada. The University is about a 20-minute drive from the Winnipeg international airport, the Winnipeg bus terminal and the Winnipeg train station. Find links to maps, and more information about our campus on our Getting to CMU information page.

What is the difference between taking a course for training and taking a course for credit?

Regardless of whether you take a course for training or for credit, the knowledge and skills you will gain will be very similar. One of the main differences between training and credit courses is that participants taking course for credit will have additional work to do for the course, including additional readings, written assignments, and projects. Another difference is that taking a course for credit costs more than taking a course for training.

Where can I find the syllabus and readings for my course?

Syllabi and readings for each course will be posted on our Courses page in February. You will also be able to access syllabi and other course materials through CMU's online learning platform, Moodle, once you have been registered in your course.

I might have to miss a day of class. Will I still get my certificate if I don’t attend every day?

You can miss up to half a day of class and still receive your attendance certificate.

International Participants

At this time, we are planning for mainly in-person courses in 2023. Please see the Courses page to view availability and course descriptions. All international applicants must provide proof of valid visitor status or study visa to be accepted for CSOP 2023. CSOP is not able provide assistance with visa applications at this time.